In the module “Theme Volty CMS Testimonial” (tvcmstestimonial) up to version 4.0.1 from Theme Volty for PrestaShop, a guest can perform SQL injection in affected versions.
- CVE ID: CVE-2023-39648
- Published at: 2023-09-26
- Platform: PrestaShop
- Product: tvcmstestimonial
- Impacted release: <= 4.0.1 (4.0.2 fixed the vulnerability)
- Product author: Theme Volty
- Weakness: CWE-89
- Severity: critical (9.8)
The script ajax.php has sensitive SQL calls that can be executed with a trivial http call and exploited to forge a SQL injection.
CVSS base metrics
- Attack vector: network
- Attack complexity: low
- Privilege required: none
- User interaction: none
- Scope: unchanged
- Confidentiality: high
- Integrity: high
- Availability: high
Vector string: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
Possible malicious usage
- Obtain admin access
- Remove data from the associated PrestaShop
- Copy/paste data from sensitive tables to FRONT to expose tokens and unlock admins’s ajax scripts
- Rewrite SMTP settings to hijack emails
Patch from 4.0.1
--- 4.0.1/tvcmstestimonial/ajax.php +++ 4.0.2/tvcmstestimonial/ajax.php $update_position = 'UPDATE `' . _DB_PREFIX_ . 'tvcmstestimonial` SET - `position` = ' . $pos . ' + `position` = ' . (int) $pos . ' WHERE - `id_tvcmstestimonial` = ' . $value . ';'; + `id_tvcmstestimonial` = ' . (int) $value . ';';
- It’s recommended to upgrade to the latest version of the module tvcmstestimonial.
- Upgrade PrestaShop to the latest version to disable multiquery executions (separated by “;”) - be warned that this functionality WILL NOT protect your SHOP against injection SQL which uses the UNION clause to steal data.
- Change the default database prefix
ps_with a new longer, arbitrary prefix. Nevertheless, be warned that this is useless against blackhats with DBA senior skills because of a design vulnerability in DBMS
- Activate OWASP 942’s rules on your WAF (Web application firewall), be warned that you will probably break your backoffice and you will need to pre-configure some bypasses against this set of rules.
|2023-02-10||Issue discovered during a code review by TouchWeb.fr|
|2023-02-10||Contact PrestaShop Addons security Team to confirm versions scope by author|
|2023-02-15||Author provide a patch which still own all criticals vulnerabilities|
|2023-04-13||Recontact PrestaShop Addons security Team to confirm versions scope by author|
|2023-04-13||Request a CVE ID|
|2023-05-19||Author provide patch|
|2023-08-15||Received CVE ID|
|2023-09-26||Publish this security advisory|
DISCLAIMER: The French Association Friends Of Presta (FOP) acts as an intermediary to help hosting this advisory. While we strive to ensure the information and advice provided are accurate, FOP cannot be held liable for any consequences arising from reported vulnerabilities or any subsequent actions taken.