In the module “Search Products” (possearchproducts) from PosThemes for PrestaShop, a guest can perform SQL injection in affected versions.
- CVE ID: CVE-2023-30192
- Published at: 2023-05-11
- Advisory source: Friends-Of-Presta.org
- Platform: PrestaShop
- Product: possearchproducts
- Impacted release: <= 1.7 (VERSION’S SCOPE NOT CONFIRMED - AUTHOR NEVER ANSWER)
- Product author: posthemes
- Weakness: CWE-89
- Severity: critical (9.8)
PosSearch::find() has sensitive SQL calls that can be executed with a trivial http call and exploited to forge a SQL injection.
The exploit can be used even if the module is not activated.
WARNING : This exploit is actively used to deploy webskimmer to massively steal credit cards.
CVSS base metrics
- Attack vector: network
- Attack complexity: low
- Privilege required: none
- User interaction: none
- Scope: unchanged
- Confidentiality: high
- Integrity: high
- Availability: high
Vector string: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
Possible malicious usage
- Obtain admin access
- Remove data from the associated PrestaShop
- Copy/paste data from sensitive tables to FRONT to exposed tokens and unlock admins’ ajax scripts
- Rewrite SMTP settings to hijack emails
Proof of concept
curl -v 'https://preprod.XXX/modules/possearchproducts/SearchProducts.php?s=test&id_category=1;select(0x73656C65637420736C656570283432293B)INTO@a;prepare`b`from@a;execute`b`;--'
Patch from 1.7
--- 1.7/modules/possearchproducts/PosSearch.php +++ XXX/modules/possearchproducts/PosSearch.php ... WHERE c.`active` = 1 - '.($id_category != 0 ? 'AND c.`id_category` = '.$id_category.'':'').' + '.($id_category != 0 ? 'AND c.`id_category` = '.(int) $id_category.'':'').'
- It’s recommended to apply patch given or delete the module (NB : disabled it is useless)
- Upgrade PrestaShop to the latest version to disable multiquery executions (separated by “;”) - be warned that this functionality WILL NOT protect your SHOP against injection SQL which uses the UNION clause to steal data.
- Change the default database prefix
ps_by a new longer arbitrary prefix. Nevertheless, be warned that this is useless against blackhats with DBA senior skill because of a design vulnerability in DBMS
- Activate OWASP 942’s rules on your WAF (Web application firewall), be warned that you will probably break your backoffice and you will need to pre-configure some bypasses against these set of rules.
|2023-03-23||Issue discovered during a code review by TouchWeb.fr|
|2023-03-23||Contact Author to confirm versions scope|
|2023-05-11||Author never answer and exploit is used to massively stole credit cards|
|2023-05-11||Publication of this security advisory without delay due to emergency|
DISCLAIMER: The French Association Friends Of Presta (FOP) acts as an intermediary to help hosting this advisory. While we strive to ensure the information and advice provided are accurate, FOP cannot be held liable for any consequences arising from reported vulnerabilities or any subsequent actions taken.