The module Jms Slider (jmsslider) from Joommasters contains an unrestricted upload of file with dangerous type vulnerability. This module is for the PrestaShop e-commerce platform and mainly provided with joo masters PrestaShop themes
- CVE ID: CVE-2023-29631
- Published at: 2023-03-13
- Advisory source: Joomasters
- Platform: PrestaShop
- Product: jmsslider
- Impacted release: at least 1.6.0
- Product author: Joommasters
- Weakness: CWE-434
- Severity: critical (9.8)
ajax_jmsslider.php can be called anonymously to upload a php file that can be used for RCE.
CVSS base metrics
- Attack vector: network
- Attack complexity: low
- Privilege required: none
- User interaction: none
- Scope: unchanged
- Confidentiality: high
- Integrity: high
- Availability: high
Vector string: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
Possible malicious usage
- Technical and personal data leaks
- Obtain admin access
- Remove all data of the linked PrestaShop
- Display sensitives tables to front-office to unlock potential admin’s ajax scripts of modules protected by token on the ecosystem
Proof of concept
curl -v -F "firstname.lastname@example.org" "https://preprod.XXX/modules/jmsslider/ajax_jmsslider.php?secure_key=VALUE_AVAILABLE_ON_FRONTOFFICE&action=addLayer&data_type=image&id_slide=99999"
Provided by the editor https://www.joommasters.com/index.php/blog/tutorials-and-case-studies/how-to-fix-security-bug-of-slider-security-breach-of-theme.html
|2019-09-04||Vulnerability publish by the editor|
|2023-02-17||Contact the author|
|2023-03-13||Publish this security advisory|
- Upgrade PrestaShop to the latest version to disable multiquery executions (separated by “;”) - be warned that this functionality WILL NOT protect your SHOP against injection SQL which uses the UNION clause to steal data.
- Change the default database prefix
ps_by a new longer arbitrary prefix. Nevertheless, be warned that this is useless against blackhats with DBA senior skill because of a design vulnerability in DBMS
- Activate OWASP 942’s rules on your WAF (Web application firewall), be warned that you will probably break your backoffice and you will need to pre-configure some bypasses against these set of rules.
DISCLAIMER: The French Association Friends Of Presta (FOP) acts as an intermediary to help hosting this advisory. While we strive to ensure the information and advice provided are accurate, FOP cannot be held liable for any consequences arising from reported vulnerabilities or any subsequent actions taken.